Tuesday, April 19, 2016

The 6 types of Bilingual

Bilingualism means you are good at 2 languages. The picture below says about 6 levels of developing bilingualism.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjZQPqmHGRZuwzOerQNO3txhtpTIyQU58X-FD75WP_h_CKt1TF0uzarlPu3UyMLDBjJlLwSy7YMV4-reeEXLepCRKfppiv3hxRxvnEUsr7VxObAMetUXEHomZLr-QiRK5VOT32zIKPEEBEZ/s1600/bilingualism.png
First, you are not good at any of the two languages. Second, you are good at one language(which is most likely to be your mother-tongue language), but not good at the other language. Third, you can communicate in both languages, but you are still better at one language than the other one. Fourth, you are good at the both languages equally. Fifth, it's similar to the fourth one, but you are more developed than before. Last, you are so proficient at both two languages that people can't even find out what's the first language.

My level is 3, because communication is possible in two languages, but I'd like to use Korean(which is my first language) if I'm chatting with someone. Maybe everyone would want to reach level 6, but I want myself to be in level 5. It's because I want my mother-tongue language to have some sort of self-esteem(?). Reading many books, trying to listen and have conversations with native Americans would help me developing my English skills.

What's your level?

2 comments:

  1. Heesung, I think you are being a little hard on yourself with your bilingual level. I think that your level is a strong 4 and is progressing into a level 5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also liked how you left the end of your blog with a question. It invites your reader to respond to you!

      Delete